News Centre

All the latest news from The Salvation Army

Could you be a Sally Army Helper this Christmas?

3 November 2015 - 11:37am
| by Joss

Could you be a Sally Army Helper? That’s the question from The Salvation Army’s network of UK charity shops as they launch a nationwide appeal for extra volunteers this Christmas. November and December are incredibly busy months for Salvation Army shops, increasing the need for lots of extra helpers to support with sales and donations.

Paul Wright, Head of Retail Operations, said: “There’s no time like Christmas to help out at a Salvation Army shop. It’s one of the best times of year, but also one of the busiest. That’s why we’re appealing for a band of Sally Army Helpers who can donate as much time as they can to our shops during the festive period. Volunteers often don’t realise how valuable they are; a couple of hours or even a few days a week make a huge difference to us.”

Salvation Army shops will offer training in essential volunteer skills but there are a number of key traits required of a Sally Army Helper; these include:

• Willing to help sort through sacks of donations to spot great toys, pristine party-wear and cosy winter warmers that will fill our customers with glee;
  • Likes Christmas decorations and can decorate a tree;
  • The ability to be jolly, even under pressure;
  • Will help customers find second-hand treasure;
  • Knowing a Christmas carol. Or three.

No matter your experience, there are a number of jobs that Salvation Army shops need help with at Christmastime. Paul added: “We’d like to encourage anybody interested in being one of our Sally Army Helpers to pop into their nearest charity shop and talk to our friendly staff. There are lots of tasks to get involved with, including sorting through donations, creating window displays, steaming and hanging clothes, assisting customers and generally helping us spread Christmas cheer! If you think you can spare any time at all, please do get in touch.”

The money raised through the shops contributes to The Salvation Army’s valuable work with people who are vulnerable and in need across the UK, including homelessness and addiction services, care for older people, help at emergency incidents, support for adult victims of human trafficking in England and Wales and a Family Tracing Service. Over the last five years alone the Salvation Army Trading Company’s shops and recycling initiatives have donated over £35 million to The Salvation Army.

To find your nearest shop, visit here

Comments

Submitted by Alison shaw on

Hello

I am looking to volunteer over 24 25 26 December and will be in the Twickenham area of London. Can you suggest anything please.

Thanks Shaw.family@wanadoo.fr

Submitted by Christine rudd on

I am interested in helping on XMas day with the homeless. I can,t commit to anything else at the moment

Submitted by Mrs L Hayward on

My husband and I are keen to volenteer for christmas, be it visiting someone on there own or helping out at a christmas dinner for the homeless or for some old people who may be lonely.

I would love to know how we could get involved in this.

could someone contact me.

Luciana.lloyd@btinternet.com

Submitted by Elise on

I want to give something back to the community and Christmas is the perfect time to start.

Submitted by TRISH BIANCHI on

I worked the Christmas dinner about 3 years back and I was wondering if there would be a chance to work as a volunteer in the Milwaukee/Pewaukee area this Christmas day? Please contact me as soon as possible at tbianchi@dealerdynamics.com or 815-289-2944 Thank You

Submitted by Debbie on

Hi, I was wondering if I can volunteer to help this Christmas. I'm in St. Helens, Merseyside x

Submitted by Emma Haslam on

I would love to help in some way this Christmas. I live in Buckingham so anything I can do to help please let me know as would.love to help make a difference

Submitted by saneeta on

Hi me and my friend would love to help people in need throughout the christmas period either helping at soup kitchens or visiting the elderly within the northwest manchester area. Please contact me via email skaur12@hotmail.com thanks

Submitted by Duarte and jade on

we are two people looking to volunteer on christmas day, one of us is a chef and speaks 3 languages and the other is a beauty therapist and has great comunication, writing and reading skills and we live in london, how can we organise this jademarmara@hotmail.com

Submitted by Tracey Manns on

I would love to volunteer this Christmas in anyway I can whether it be the sally army, helping with soup kitchens or talking to and being a friendly face for those in need. I'm 27, sociable and know a few Christmas carols I don't mind singing at the top of my voice :) can someone please let me know how to get involved? My email address is lake.tracey@yahoo.com.au my nearest salvation army is Hinckley. Thanks, Tracey

Submitted by Franco on

I am considering volunteering on Christmas Day . I could
D help serve Christmas lunch , visit someone or maybe host a homeless person '. I am based near Lowestoft . Ant suggestions??

Submitted by Tony latham on

Hi.....me and my wife would like to volunteer on Xmas day in basildon Essex area for anybody that are less fortunate and to help and bring a smile. .

Submitted by Michelle on

I live in the Farnworth area, near Bolton and am looking to volunteer my time. Any suggestions please, are welcomed. Thank you. 6

Submitted by Mishaii on

Hi,

I would like to volunteer to help the homeless or the elderly who are lonely.

I am off work from 20 Dec - 3 Jan and would be able to volunteer a few days.

Please contact me on mishali_g@hotmail.co.uk

Submitted by Bill Harris on

I know a young couple who want to help with the homeless on Christmas Day. We are in Pendle, Lancashire. Ring me on 07443566023.

Submitted by lesley russell on

Hi there,

I live in Brighton and would be very happy to help out in any area, on Christmas Day. Anyone need any help?!

Lesley

Submitted by Jessica Watt on

Myself & my sister want to help feed the homeless on Christmas day along with my niece in Nottingham could you let me know if there is anything like this happening on Xmas day?

Submitted by Sarah Prince on

I would like to help out on Xmas day with dinner for the homeless or in an elderly care home. Please send me some info

Submitted by Joss on

Thank you all for your kind interest to volunteer with us during Christmas to help those in need.

The best thing would be to contact your local Slavtion Army church, charity shop or centre to find our about volunteering opportunities.

If you don't know where your nearest Salvation Army service is, you can use this map to find your closest one: https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/map-page

God bless,

Sally

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Let us know your thoughts about this news story. This is an open, family-friendly community to encourage everyone to get involved, so please keep your comments clean and follow our Guidelines so we can publish your comment.

CAPTCHA
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.